Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Church Giggles



Hello, everyone. After some friendly goading from friends and relatives, I'm finally getting back on the horse. Los Waltons have had some amazing times over the past few months that we have been away, and some pretty crummy ones, too. We are doing well and feel so thankful for our health and happiness. Most of the latter, of course, comes from the joy of raising our little one. (who recently turned one!!! That will be in the next post.)

At the last post, Lily was cruising. Now, she's a walking machine. On April 6th, while we were in Austin for Jessica's birthday and visiting Glenn's great-aunt Martha, Lily took her first step. I said "any day" in my last post--I guess there is something to be said for intuition, since it was within a week! While we were in Austin, we took Lily to Granite Shoals and got some amazing bluebonnet pictures.




Less than two weeks later, we were in Amarillo for the MS Walk. The team that I co-captained exceeded our goal of $2,000, and our fundraising concert was a success. Unfortunately, the walk was a total beating, as it was nearly freezing and drizzling, but it was amazing to see how many people came out to support such a worthy cause even in that weather! Lily stayed with her Nana and Coco and played with her cousin Blake while we were out doing our best to catch pneumonia.



On the complete opposite end of the weather spectrum, we have the annual Reyes-Barrera Family Reunion, which was held over Memorial Day weekend on the surface of the sun. All kidding aside, though, we had an amazing time. Because the Colonial Golf Tournament was taking place and the restaurant correctly anticipated a lot of business, Glenn couldn't be with us. But Lily had a great time getting to know all of our wonderful family and even took a dip in Lake Granbury (the actual location of the reunion.)



Lily has six teeth now, and she is doing much better with the teething. She is also saying a few words: hiyee, uh-oh, do(g). Instead of just barking at dogs, she also pants, which is actually, surprisingly, even cuter. She has moved beyond just shaking no and does yes now (looks like head-banging on most days), winks by squinting and focusing on whoever throws her the first wink, and "snaps" her fingers by flicking her index finger and thumb. She attempts to do "jazz hands" by doing a pageant wave with one hand, which is held high over her head, and wiggling the outspread fingers of the other hand, which is held out to the side. I've said it before--the girl is talented.

Lily is also discovering the joys of using the potty. I'm grossed out by the cutesy chamber pots for kids that never smell clean, so we bought her a cushioned seat that fits over the regular toilet seat. The first time on, Lily crossed her little ankles, leaned back, and went to town. I won't devote a lot of time to the subject, but we've gotten up to four successful trips to the potty in a single day, and that feels pretty good.



Now, there are many things about being a parent that are tough. Right now, I'm having trouble with my mouth. I rarely curse, really. But, because I'm hyper-aware of it, it's like it happens more! You know, like when you're in church and you get the urge to laugh, and because you're trying not to, it makes you laugh more? Now, imagine that with the four letter word of your choice.

Here's hoping that her next full word will be permissible on prime time television.

1 comment:

  1. Alright you damn overachiever - I tried putting Taylor on the toilet yesterday and she just started screaming and bawling. No dice. And speaking of cursing, I'm pretty sure she said "damn" last night as I was trying to wrestle her into her pj's.

    ReplyDelete